2013 reads

• Fables and Sandman: Old Characters – New Spin

Fables: Volume 17 – Inherit the Wind by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha, and Shwan McManus I discovered the world of Fables three years ago and I have read all of the trade paperbacks up to volume 17 now. The story really is incredible. It features all of the fairy tale characters we know […]

• The Gate Thief

The Gate Thief by Orson Scott Card This was sitting on the new arrival shelf at the public library. I picked it up because I have always enjoyed Orson Scott Card’s work. I love his work in the genre of science fiction and the medium of comics and I did read one of his urban […]

• Gareth Malone and The Power of Choir

The first time I saw Gareth Malone on television I was completely blown away. He has inspired so many people to come together and sing. And for several years he has done it in front of television cameras. When I saw that he had also published a book on the experience, I knew I had […]

• Jinn Warriors – The Devil’s War

Jinn Warriors: The Devil’s War by Marwan El Nashar I met the author of this book at the public library and he gave me a free copy of it. It’s kind of cool connecting with self published authors. It is set in Jannahim, the Spirit Realm that exists parallel to the Earthly Realm. There are […]

• Daredevil Reboots

Daredevil Season One by Anthony Johnston and Wellington Alves I don’t know why comic book creators feel the need to constantly recreate origin stories. It’s been done for Daredevil several times and much better than this latest title as well. Daredevil # 1 – 1964 by Stan Lee and Bill Everett  That being said, I […]

• Graphic Novels from the Public Library

I love the public library. There is no way I would be able to read as wide a variety of material without this free and invaluable service. Here are the latest comic books I have enjoyed free of charge thanks to the library. The Unwritten: Volume 4 – Leviathan by Mike Carey, Peter Gross, Vince […]

• Legendary Writers Working With Pictures

Stephen King is an incredible writer who sees the value in working with pictures. There are so many novelists that are completely stuck on prose and see no reason or benefit in expanding their work to other mediums or genres. Fortunately, Stephen King isn’t a print-snob and we have seen his work turned into TV […]

• Novels Adapted to Comics

The Talisman – Volume 1: The Road of Trials by Stephen King and Peter Straub Is this a new trend? I know that they have turned quite a few books into movies but turning prose novels into graphic novels is new, right? I thought I’d give this one a try as I am a huge […]

• Musical Futures – Free Teaching Resources

Musical Futures: An Approach to Teaching and Learning I went to a training workshop about the Musical Futures program and was completely blown away. This is a program that can truly engage reluctant learners in the music classroom. We were thrown right into the thick of things for this workshop. We were divided into small […]

• Daredevil Ends with Shadowland

Daredevil is my all-time favourite superhero. The work Frank Miller did in the first run of the comic book series completely revolutionized the entire medium of comics. The second run of the comic series began in 1998 and the title continued to soar. I never thought it would come to an end but it has […]