2013 reads

• Recommended Reads: Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth In the near future, we live in one of five factions. Each group is conditioned to think, act, and behave in a certain way. When we turn sixteen years old, we are given a test that assigns us to one of the factions. We then have the choice of staying in […]

• The Great Gatsby on the Boardwalk

Fan-created cover by Stuart Ward for Hfour.ca  The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald I didn’t see the new feature film of this story that came out last year. I figured I should read the book first. After all, it is a classic. I have to say that I was not all that impressed with the […]

• Darth Vader Unleashed

Star Wars: Darth Vader and The Ghost Prison This story takes place shortly after the events in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and approximately nineteen years before Episode IV A New Hope.  Darth Vader is a ruthless villain and is unleashed on the pages here in a way we have never seen before. The […]

• Star Trek Destiny – A Trilogy by David Mack

Star Trek: Destiny Trilogy by David Mack  Book 1 – Gods of Night Book 2 – Mere Mortals Book 3 – Lost Souls I consider myself to be an avid reader but if my dad had ever kept a reading log, it would have put mine to shame. He was constantly reading and his place […]

• This Book is Bigger on the Inside

The adventures of Amy Pond, Rory Williams, and the Eleventh Doctor continue on in a series of original novels. This book is bigger on the inside, and that’s not just a clever Doctor Who joke. It’s actually a collection of two novels bound creatively in one volume. Each story is 200 pages long and opens […]

• My Name is Memory

My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to see all of the ways that the two characters connected throughout the years. The timing or circumstances were never quite right for them to finally come together to live happily ever after. But that notion of fairy-tale love is […]

• Connected by Books

Connected: The Surprising Power of Our Social Networks and How They Shape Our Lives by Nicholas A. Christakis and James H. Fowler I’m sure that we’ve all heard of Six Degrees of Separation – the theory that everyone is connected in six or fewer steps. That means you could be connected to me even if […]

• The New Adventures of Jack

I am continuing to blog about every book I read. It’s a lot of fun having this yearly reading log.  The latest additions to the list are three trade paperbacks from the on-going Jack of Fables series.  Jack of Fables: Volume 5 – Turning Pages by Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges, Russ Braun, Tony Akins, Jose […]

• Transformers Done Right

Transformers Volume 2: International Incident The art in this trade paperback is absolutely gorgeous. I also love how they keep the original transformer characters looking like I remember them. There is even a nice joke about it thrown in. It really makes no sense for the constructicons to be green and purple in colour but […]

• Nurture Shock: New Thinking About Children

Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman This book makes some interesting points that fly in the face of conventional wisdom. It makes sense to not fight in front of the children, right? But of course fighting is inevitable in a relationship. There are going to be disagreements and arguments. How we handle these […]