2013 reads

• Middle Schools Should . . .

What Every Middle School Teacher Should Know by Trudy Knowles and Dave F. Brown This book advocates for a change in the structure of learning in our schools. It’s time for us to have a serious discussion about this. The current way of learning in schools isn’t conductive to the modern world. It’s old-and-outdated and […]

• Batman Year One and a Fables Spin-Off

Batman: Year One by Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli, and Richmond Lewis This is a retelling of Batman’s origin story. It was originally published in 1986, shortly after Frank Miller told the final Batman story in The Dark Knight Returns. That book is an undisputed classic. This one seems like it is chasing that but can never […]

• My List of 2013 Reads

I love reading. I always have a book or two on the go. And I love sharing great titles here on the blog. That’s why I’ve decided to keep track of everything I read over the course of this year. I had a lot of fun with my reading log last year. It’s definitely a […]

• I Accidentally Read This

The Accidental Genius of Weasel High by Rick DeTorie This book was sitting on top of the young adult section at the public library and it called to me. There was something about the style of it that attracted my attention. First off, it was written in Internet-like blocking, meaning that the paragraphs were not […]

• James Bond in Space and A Super-Hero Family

Here are the latest graphic novels that I have read this year. Star Wars: Agent of the Empire – Iron Eclipse James Bond in space, that’s basically what this story is, but it goes a little deeper than that. Jahan Cross is the secret agent in this series and he works for the Empire. He […]

• Little Women and Me – My New Favourite Book

I was at the library and this book called to me. It was sitting on the top of a bookcase, proudly on display. It seemed to be saying, “Hey, Chase! This is just the book you want to read.” Who am I to argue with a book? I really loved the story of Little Women […]

• How Did I Get Here? (The Power of a Good Story)

Here are the latest books that I have read. I am continuing to catalog every title here on Silent Cacophony. This is part of my 2013 reading log. How Did I Get Here: The Ascent of an Unlikely CEO by Tony Hawk Tony Hawk is probably the most recognized name when it comes to extreme […]

• An Interview with Shanaya Fastje

Today, we continue our discussion with Shanaya Fastje, author of Bully in the Mirror: Making Hate Stop When You Don’t Think You Can.” We’ve already had quite the discussion so far. If you want to go back and read Part 1 of the transcript, you can do that now. You can also stream the entire […]

• Bully in the Mirror (Straight Talk about a Major Problem)

Chase: “All right everybody, this is Chase March. I have a special guest on the program right now, author of “Bully in the Mirror: Making Hate Stop When You Don’t Think You Can,” Shanaya Fastje. You can read the transcript of the interview, stream in with the player below, or download it to listen to […]

• Look Again (Great Reads)

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline The premise of this novel was so scary that I wasn’t sure I even wanted to read it. It starts when a single mother receives a missing child flyer in the mail. The picture on the flyer looks exactly like her adopted son, Will. The reporter in her needs to […]