2015 Reads

• We Are Called to Rise

We Are Called to Rise by Laura McBride Avis knows her marriage is in a bit of a slump, but she is caught completely off guard when her husband admits to an affair and declares that he is moving out. Meanwhile, an elementary school student starts an assignment in class that has him becoming penpals […]

• The 2003 Power Blackout Explained

Ex Machina: Volume 6 – Power Down This series is absolutely incredible. I read the first five volumes a while back and decided to binge read the next five, since they were sitting on the library shelf practically begging me to. The story revolves around a former super-hero. He has the ability to communicate with […]

• Latest Graphic Novel Reads

The Amazing Spider-Man: Matters of Life and Death I haven’t been reading Spider-Man comics in the correct order. It’s not because I didn’t want to; it’s because I get whatever is available at the public library at the time. This one takes place slightly before the last one I reviewed here. In this story, Spider-Man […]

• The More You Do, The Better You Feel

The More You Do, The Better You Feel: How to Overcome Procrastination and Live a Happier Life by David Parker I received this book in the mail a little while ago and I kept putting off reading it. I’m not sure why. I knew there were things I procrastinated about. I knew it. But I also […]

• You Can’t Handle Shakespeare’s Power

Kill Shakespeare: Volume 3 – The Tide of Blood This comic features a fictional world where all of the characters of the Bard’s work exist in one time and place. It is a brilliant concept and executed perfectly. This is the third edition of the on-going trade paperback collection. (Spolier Alert) William Shakespeare is one […]

• Get Social Online and in the Real World

Got Social Mediology by Jay Izso Jay Izso looks at social media from a psychology stand point. He says . . . “We have to understand the reasons why people are on social media in the first place: to engage with others, to be validated for who they are, and to enjoy the resulting positive […]

• Talent for Humanity (Not Everyone Has It)

Talent for Humanity – editied by Patrick Gaffney This book is inspiring in so many ways. It features the voices of people from all over the world who were bestowed a Human Spirit Award. Instead of a trophy, they were given a chapter of this book to share their passion and life mission. I thought I […]

• The Fiction Writer’s Guide to Dialogue

The Fiction Writer’s Guide to Dialogue by John Hough, Jr. As a teacher, I keep coming across posters that declare, “Said is Dead!” To me, these alternatives are just lazy. A good writer doesn’t need them. Said says it all. John Hough explains . . . “Said” isn’t  intrusive, at all. It’s invisible. The reader reads […]

• Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comic Series

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Vol 1 Robots in Disguise in an on-going comic book series that picks up right where the television show Transformers: Prime finished off. If you have never seen that show though or read the previous comic book series, don’t fret. This is a great read and shows just what is possible […]

• Fables – Great Comic Book Series

Fables: Cubs in Toyland Volume 18 of Eisner Award winning series focuses on Therese, one of Snow White and Bigby Wolf’s young cubs. She’s not happy with the toy boat she got for Christmas. But one night, it starts talking to her and encourages her to take it to the lake. When she does, it […]