2015 Reads

• 2015 Reading Challenge – How’d I Do?

I found this reading challenge at the start of the year and thought it was a great idea. Truth be told though, I never glanced at it a second time throughout the entire year. I already blog about every book I read, and manage to put up a new post every week. So, finding books […]

• Psycho-Cybernetics

Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz I read this book when I was a teenager and it blew me away. I decided that I needed to brush the dust off it and give it a re-read. This book was written by a plastic surgeon who noticed something interesting in his practice. He would operate on people who […]

• Wit’s End – The Line Between Fiction and Reality

Wit’s End by Karen Joy Fowler This novel revolves around a successful author who values her privacy. She has a unique way of planning her mysteries. For each book, she builds a diorama in a doll house. This allows her to plan out the murder scene in detail. She never lets anyone see these, however. […]

• Little Brother – A Great Read!

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow I love reading Young Adult fiction. Maybe we don’t need this distinction when it comes to novels. A great story is a great story no matter who it is aimed at. And this one definitely fits that. There is a passage in this book from the main character’s point of […]

• The Last Graphic Novel Reads of 2015

All New Captain America: Hydra Ascendant Sam Wilson aka The Falcon has taken on the mantle of Captain America. Although, he still has his wings and hasn’t quite mastered how to target the shield effectively. His first mission doesn’t go exactly as planned either. He’s unsure that he deserves to be Captain America. He knows […]

• Are We All Zapped?

Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn’t Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution by Ann Louise Gittleman In this day and age we are inundated with electronic devices. It’s almost impossible to get away from them. Most of us wouldn’t want to either. These modern conveniences are not […]

• Life is Great . . . Even When It Sucks

Life is Great Even When It Sucks by Ellen Nyland It’s hard to have a positive attitude when things are going poorly for you. But if you take a moment, it is hard to argue that Life is Good . . . Even When it Sucks. I am always amazed at how books that are […]

• Sound Unbound- Sampling Music and Culture

Sound Unbound: Sampling Digital Music and Culture. Edited by Paul D. Miller aka DJ Spooky The basic tenet of this book is . . . Technology enables creativity, community, art, and love. Crippling it to save someone’s outmoded business-model is a crime against humanity. Sampling is perhaps one of the least understood concepts about modern […]

• “Empty” is Full of Adventure, Thrills, and Chills

Empty by Suzanne Weyn This book is set ten years from now and things are pretty bad. Oil has become a scarce resource and society is starting to fall apart because of it. Stores shelves are bare because shipping has pretty much come to a halt. When gas is $50 a gallon very few people can […]

• A Graveyard, An Ocean Planet, and A Lost Space Shuttle

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman The story starts out with a baby escaping more than just his crib. He wanders into a cemetery and is taken in by the ghosts who live there. They keep him safe from the killer who murdered his family. As the only living being that resides in the graveyard, he […]