2015 Reads

• Flashpoint – One Moment Changes Everything

Flashpoint One day, Barry Allen is completely surprised to see that his mother is still alive. Everything in his universe has changed. No one has ever heard of The Flash. There is a huge war threatening the whole planet. And worse still, Allen doesn’t have his speed anymore. Convinced that the Reverse Flash has altered […]

• Record Collecting for EVERYONE!

Record Collecting for Girls by Courtney E. Smith Why would I read a book entitled, Record Collecting for Girls? Because Record Collecting is for Everybody! Just like feminism. Both of these are great books and while the former isn’t necessarily about feminism, it does touch on some major issues. Courtney E. Smith explains . . . […]

• Divine Styler – The Story of a Hip Hop Zine

In Search Of . . . Divine Styler by Ryan Somers aka Fritz the Cat Before the Internet made it possible to easily publish and distribute content, and before the popularity of blogs and social media, there were independent, do-it-yourself publications known as zines. Zines were a labour of love for would-be journalists who simply wanted […]

• Hawkeye – An Avenger or a Weapon

Hawkeye: Volume 1 – My Life as a Weapon When I first heard of this title, I really had no interest in reading it. After all, he is probably the least exciting member of The Avengers. But the praise for the book has been strong, so when I saw it on the shelves of the […]

• A Hard Read About Bullying (Book Giveaway Contest)

Santa; by Nicola Mar This book centres around the character of June, a high school student who is bullied physically, emotionally, and even online. She starts to lose faith in humanity and question everything. She doesn’t see a way out or a reason to continue. While this is a work of fiction, the tale feels […]

• The Walking Dead – Finally Home?

I just finished watching Season 5 of The Walking Dead and saw these graphic novels in the public library. Pretty soon, the television series will be completely caught up with the books. I wonder what will happen then? I try to write my reviews without spoilers, but if you are a big fan of the […]

• Harriet’s Big Adventure (Children’s Book Review)

Harriet’s Big Adventure by Glenn S. Guiles and Raymond J. Whalen Guiles is a fellow educator who believes in the power of a good story to enrich the lives of children and to help them learn. To that end, he has crafted a series of picture books featuring a miniature donkey by the name of […]

• Rich Writer, Poor Writer

I am illiterate. I have two university degrees, am an avid reader, have been writing fiction, novels, and blog posts for years, but when it comes to money . . . I am financially illiterate. Other writers probably feel the same way. We focus on our craft and our daily lives. Money doesn’t seem to […]

• This Box Shows Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler and Maira Kalman Objects can hold so much power. Something as simple as a ticket stub, a folded piece of paper, and even a sugar shaker can help call up memories of long ago. This novel centres around a box of keepsakes and memories that a teenaged girl […]

• The Great Machine Rules the City

Ex Machina: Volume 7 – Ex Cathedra The mayor of New York is an ex-superhero. He fights the good fight in politics now instead of being a vigilante. He still has his powers though and is able to communicate with machines. Unfortunately for him, someone has figured out how to reverse the lines of communication. […]