2012 reads

• The Write Start: Nurture Writing at Every Stage

I don’t often take my own advice of taking the summer off from teaching. I usually find something to read at the very least. I think it’s important to develop professionally and books are a great way to do so. I found this book over the summer at the library. I wasn’t looking for a […]

• Avid Reader . . . Still Collecting Book Experiences

I’ve never kept a reading log before. I always thought that it missed the point. I read because I enjoy it, because it’s a great way to experience stories, because I love the written word, and because I am a writer and appreciate the craft. This year, I decided to at least keep track of […]

• Residential Schools Novels, Memoirs, and Picture Books

Residential schools have had a considerable impact on children, families, and entire communities. In 2008, Prime Minister Stephen Harper apologized to First Nations, Metis, and Inuit people on behalf of Canada for a over a century of residential schools. This small action helped to expose Canadians to this long-hidden aspect of our history. This is […]

• Conducting Music with Michael Miller (Transcript and Podcast)

This is Part 2 of an exclusive interview I did with Michael Miller, author of The Complete Idiots Guide to Conducting Music. If you missed Part 1, you can go back and read it now. You can also listen to the interview for free. Stream it with the player below or download it to listen […]

• Ender in Exile (Recommended Read)

Ender’s Game is a science fiction classic and its sequel, which takes place some 3000 years later, is equally amazing. The original books came out in the mid 1980s and sparked an entire series of novels. So far, there have been eight in total. I found this hardcover of Ender in Exile in the discount […]

• Scrabble Tiles, Word Games, and YA combine in "Mutiple Choice"

Multiple Choice is a novel by Janet Tashjian that I knew I just had to read. I found it in the school library and was immediately drawn to it. It was one of those books that I just wanted to dive into and forget about everything else. Of course, I couldn’t do that. I was […]

• Graphic Novels of 2012 (Part 3)

I am blogging everything I read over the course of this year. It’s a pretty impressive list and it is continuing to grow. Here are the latest graphic novels that I have read this year. Marvel 1985 by Mark Millar and Tommy Lee Edwards This graphic novel was originally published as a six-issue series in […]

• A Podcast of Inspiration and Encouragement for Writers (Barbara Abercrombie Interview)

We’re talking with Barbara Abercrombie, author of A Year of Writing Dangerously: 365 Days of Inspiration and Encouragement. It definitely is a great book for anyone interested in writing. I know that I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was a privilege to be able to talk to her about it. This is the second part […]

• Write Dangerously with Barbara Abercrombie (Author Interview and Podcast)

Chase: “All right everybody, this is Chase March and I have Barbara Abercrombie on the phone, author of A Year of Writing Dangerously:365 Days of Inspiration and Encouragement. Download the podcast of this interview for free, stream it with the player below, or keep reading the transcript. I think this is a book that a […]

• 2012 – The Year of the Book

I am continuing my mission to document every single book that I read over the course of the year. Here are the latest editions to an already large list. Fanstatic Four by J. Michael Straczynski and Mike McKone This is the first story arc by the new creative team behind the first family of super-heroes, […]