2012 reads

• Don’t Be So Critical (I Know it’s Hard)

Cover of Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us “What people are afraid of isn’t failure. It’s blame. Criticism.” – Seth Godin from the book Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us What an amazing observation. We’re afraid of people saying things like. . . “That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.” “What a waste […]

• Last Reads of the Year

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom I love the concept of this novel. It’s about the man who first started to count and measure time. It started out innocently enough, but this one man’s preoccupation changed the entire world. As such, he became Father Time and it didn’t seem to be a blessing at all. […]

• The Power of Musical Education

“We make a big mistake in education by compensating everyone called ‘teacher’ on the same salary schedule. Music teachers arguable work longer hours, have greater influence, and contribute more to the community than most of their colleagues. Music education positions are unique. Why should a music educator’s salary be equal to that of a colleague […]

• Belief

“People don’t believe what you tell them. They rarely believe what you show them. They often believe what their friends tell them. They always believe what that they tell themselves. What leaders do: they give people stories they can tell themselves. Stories about the future and about change.” – Seth Godin from the book Tribes: […]

• Whatever Happened to Good Reads?

I love reading. I always have a book on the go. Here are the latest titles that I’ve worked my way through in the past few weeks. What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen I love the idea the main character has in this book. When her parents divorced, she went to live with her […]

• Speechless (Let’s Take Action to Make Things Better)

Sometimes we don’t stop to think about how much power our words have. It’s easy to blurt something out that you really have no right to share, something that can hurt someone else, something that is probably better left unsaid. Speechless is a novel by Hannah Harrington that explores this issue. The main character, Chelsea, […]

• Latest Graphic Novels

Here are the latest graphic novels that I have read this year. Rapunzel’s Revenge by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, and Nathan Hale A student of mine was reading this and she was so utterly captivated by it, I knew I had to give it a read as well. It’s a nice tale that puts some […]

• I Love Comics! (Latest Batch of Reads for 2012)

I’m enjoying building this little digital bookcase, of sorts. I’ve never really kept a reading log. I read for the sheer enjoyment of it, but this year, I am keeping track of every single title. Here are my latest graphic novel reads. Kill Shakespeare: Volume 2: The Blast of War by Conor McCreery, Anthony Del […]

• Magic Street, Transformers UK, and more!

I love reading! Here are the latest titles I’ve zoomed through this month. Magic Street by Orson Scott Card Cecil Tucker discovers an abandoned baby and convinces his mom to adopt him. He names the baby Mack Street and he becomes a big brother / mentor to the little boy. Cecil just knew that there […]

• Latest Graphic Novel Reads

I’m really enjoying cataloging everything I’ve read over the course of the year. I don’t know why I never did this before. Here are the latest graphic novels I’ve had the pleasure of reading in 2012. Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors by Peter J. Tomasi and Frenando Pasarin I have been reading a lot of Green […]