2017 Reads

• This Spider-Man Series is Miles Above Other Titles

Spider-Man: Volume 1 – Miles Morales  Miles Morales is a great character and it’s nice to see that he now has an on-going series in the MCU (Marvel Comics Universe). It’s not simply a stand-alone title. This new Spider-Man is a member of the Avengers and has a pivotal role in the crossover event, Civil […]

• Old Man Logan (Superheroes Can’t Retire)

Wolverine: Old Man Logan Old Man Logan is a new on-going series that focuses on our favourite hero in an apocalyptic future where super-heroes are conspicuously absent and super-villains rule. I read the first volume of this series last year. At the time, I didn’t realize that this story got its start in the regular […]

• Why You Should Tell Your Story

The Story You Need to Tell by Sandra Marinella, MA, MEd “Our words create us. Our stories create us. And our writing can re-create us.” Wise words from Sandra Marinella, a writer who has taught several people how to use personal writing to come to terms with, overcome, and learn from past traumas. And now […]

• Darth Vader Ends It

Darth Vader – The Shu-Torun War These comic stories take place after the events depicted in Episode IV: A New Hope, but before any of the sequel films. It’s really nice to see Darth Vader trying to figure out who he is and how he fits into the Galactic Empire. He needs to redeem himself […]

• Max & Charlie Figuring It All Out

Max & Charlie by Zack Lieberman and Louis Neubert This was a great read. From the very first page, the artwork captures the imagination of the main characters. It is bright and colourful and stylistically stunning. The opening daydream shows a young boy pretending to be a space-warrior. His dog, a trusty companion in a […]

• The Flash – Stop Motion

The Flash – Stop Motion (Justice League) Wally West is the fastest man alive.  If you are a fan of the television show, this version of The Flash is a little bit different. In this incarnation, West, is the only Flash. His uncle, Barry Allen, passed away a few years back. I was really surprised […]

• Stay Driven (Motivation and Inspiration from a Rapper)

Stay Driven by Duane D.O. Gibson D.O. aka Defy the Odds is a rap artist who set a Guinness World Record for the longest freestyle ever, 8 hours and 45 seconds. He has released countless albums and dropped several music videos. When I saw this book at the library, I thought it was worth the […]

• Moo, a Flute, and a Moo-ve to Maine

Moo by Sharon Creech I absolutely love the way Sharon Creech writes verse novels. The sound and rhythm of her words, jumps right off the page. This particular novel is filled with all sorts of sounds such as a flute melody travelling through the air from an upstairs window, to the sounds of rain and water […]

• Moving Beyond Traditional Relationship Roles

Beyond Mars and Venus by John Gray John Gray has written some amazing books to help people understand and navigate their relationships better. Many of these books are based around the concept of differences. His brilliant metaphor, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, was meant to show that we have much to learn […]

• Bif Naked Bears All

I, Bificus – A Memoir by Bif Naked I am a huge Bif Naked fan. I have been for a while. She is an amazing performer and a great songwriter, so when I heard she had written a memoir, I knew that I had to read it. I was hoping I could find out how […]