2020 Reads

• There’s Power in Daily Practice

The Power of Daily Practice by Eric Maisel I love taking notes when I read. If I own the book, I underline key passages and make notes in the margins. If I am borrowing the book from the library, I take notes on a single sheet of paper that I also use as a bookmark. […]

• Is the Librarian the Borrower or the Borrowed?

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai Lucy Hull is a children’s librarian in a small town who finds herself in an impossible situation when one of her favourite patrons runs away from home. Ian Drake in only ten years old but he is wise beyond his years. He loves reading and getting his hands on books […]

• Getting to the Heart of it (The Poetry of Rap)

In the Heart of the Beat: The Poetry of Rap by Alexs D. Pate I used to think that rap music was just poetry set to music. I’m not sure I feel that way anymore. Rap music can be more powerful than poetry. There is something created in the marriage of beats and rhymes that […]

• Green Lantern Binge #2

Earlier this year, I dived into the fourth volume of Green Lantern comics and binge-read six years worth of books in just a few weeks. That series ended with a cliffhanger that made me want to jump right into the fifth volume, but I thought I’d read a few other things first. Well, I just […]

• Wait for . . . Another Book

Wait for Me by Samantha Chase I make sure to have a book nearby at all times. The public library makes that easy with their Libby app. I always have an ebook downloaded and available on my phone. This way, when I find myself with a few moments of time where I have nothing to do, I […]

• Where Do You See Yourself in 5 Years? (Book Review)

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle You know that question you often get asked in job interviews, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” Danni was asked that question when she went after her dream job at the biggest legal firm in town. She had her answer ready too, but there was no way […]

• Let’s Move from Starving Artist to Thriving Artist

Real Artists Don’t Starve: Timeless Strategies for Thriving in the New Creative Age by Jeff Goins For years, many people have bought into the notion of the starving artist. I know I have. I create because I have to create. I’d like to make money from my creative endeavors but money has never really been […]

• The Answer is . . . Alex Trebek

Who is one of the most beloved television hosts of all-time? The Answer Is . . . Reflections on My Life by Alex Trebek Alex Trebek is the long-time host of one of the best television shows ever. Jeopardy has become a cultural phenomenon over the past 37 years that he has hosted the program. […]

• Living Her Life Out of Order

Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore Youth is wasted on the young, or so they say. For Oona, that is not the case. It all started on what should have been her nineteenth birthday. It was New Year’s Eve and she was ready to kick in the new year and the official start to […]

• One Man Can Summon the Future and Change the World

Star Trek: Mirror Universe – The Sorrows of Empire by David Mack One of the best episodes of the classic television series Star Trek was “Mirror Mirror.” In it, Captain Kirk, Doctor McCoy, Scotty, and Uhura inadvertently trade places with their counterparts in a parallel dimension. Many things are the same aboard this version of […]