2020 Reads

• The 13th Doctor is The Good Doctor

Doctor Who: The Good Doctor by Juno Dawson While we have been patiently waiting for new Doctor Who adventures on our television, I have been continuing her adventures through comics and novels. In this story, The Doctor and her companions save the day and help unite the inhabitants of a planet at war. But when […]

• Don’t Blink, Here Comes 13!

Doctor Who: Tale of Two Time Lords – A Little Help From My Friends The 13th Doctor and her companions; Graham, Ryan and Yaz, had planned to visit Woodstock but somehow the TARDIS managed to bring them back to the time when the 10th Doctor and Martha were stranded in 1969. So, not only do we […]

• Punctuation Matters (A Great Book)

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss Punctuation matters. Something as simple as leaving a comma out of a sentence can change the meaning in very humorous ways. Unfortunately, many people are making grammar errors without that intent. I often cringe at the writing I see online. But, like […]

• A Good Neighborhood – A Great Read

A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler I picked this one up from the library because it was on of NPR’s best books of the year. I was immediately hooked by the writing and the the author’s great use of foreshadowing. I knew something bad was going to happen, but I wasn’t sure what. I […]

• 10 Tips to Help You Learn More Effectively

The Surprising Truth About How We Learn And Why It Happens by Benedict Carey As a teacher and an advocate for life-long learning, I think it is important to look at the ways we learn so we can improve our practice at school and at home. That is why I am constantly reading, and taking […]

• Twelve Doctors of Christmas

Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of Christmas This a a collection of short stories featuring each of the first twelve Doctors. Every story is accompanied with a full-page piece of art that beautifully captures the essence of the tale. I appreciated taking another trip in the TARDIS with some of my favourite Doctor / Companion teams. […]

• The Canadian Comic Book War

The Comic Book War by Jacqueline Guest Back in the 1940s, it was hard to get a hold of the best comic books in Canada. During World War II, the War Exchange Conservation Act prevented those books from entering the country. As a result, a Canadian comic book industry sprung up. Without the mainstream competition […]

• Digital Culture Traveller

Uproot: Travels in 21st-Century Music and Digital Culture by Jace Clayton aka DJ Rupture I took quite a few notes while reading this book. Here are a few of my favourite passages with a little commentary to boot. DJs are Essential “As a process, DJing is inevitable and necessary for our times, an elegant way […]

• A Great Series for Young Readers (and Runners)

I just finished reading all four books of Jason Reynolds’ track series. The first revolves around a character who has nicknamed himself Ghost. He’s been running his entire life, but mostly away from things. One day, he runs towards a track team and his life takes a most unexpected turn. He finds purpose and a family […]

• How to Talk to Kids

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish This book is a classic and I knew I had to reread it because I was sure there were bits of wisdom in it that I had forgotten or just needed to reinforce. Here are some […]