2016 reads

• DJs Run It and Run With It

Playing With Something That Runs by Mark J. Butler This book focuses on DJ and laptop performers in the EDM (electronic dance music) realm. I thought it was worth exploring even though that isn’t really my genre of music. I was sure there would be tie-ins to hip-hop and what I do as a DJ. […]

• Conscious Men – Why We All Need to Wake Up!

Conscious Men by John Gray and Arjuna Ardagh It’s nice to see a book like this. I think far too often in the world, men go around blind to what it means to be a man. We don’t think about the gender roles we play in our daily lives. We are not conscious of things […]

• From the Graphic Novel Aisle

I love scouring the graphic novel section at the public library. It often leads me to titles and issues I never knew existed. And I get to read to great comics for free. What is better than that? Here are the latest graphic novels that I have read. Ant-Man – Second Chance Man I didn’t […]

• March – An Illustrated History

March: Book One by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell This is the first part of a trilogy of books that tell the real-life story of John Lewis and his fight to end segregation in the United States. The book opens a peaceful demonstration that is only met with violence. The civil rights activists […]

• The Inner Game of Work

The Inner Game of Work by W. Timothy Gallwey I started a research project to see how we could let students choose what they want to learn in school and it led me to some very interesting books, articles, and videos. I will be sharing some of that with you over the course of this […]

• Scott Pilgrim’s London, ON. Connection

Scott Pilgrim Vol 1: Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O’Malley I saw the film, Scott Pilgrim vs The World a few years back and I was impressed with the quirky writing, hilarious scenes, and original story. I knew that it was based on a book but I knew nothing about the print version of […]

• Darth Vader lives on . . . In Comics

Darth Vader: Vol. 1 – Vader This story takes place right after Star Wars IV: A New Hope and is the start of Darth Vader’s own on-going series. Darth Vader has been demoted in the wake of the Death Star fiasco. He was the one who ultimately got blamed for the rebellion being able to […]

• Thor – Who’s Worthy?

Thor – Goddess of Thunder What a brilliant concept for a story about Thor. The title has always been built around the theme “Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.” Unfortunately, Thor is no longer worthy to wield the hammer and as such Mjölnir is stuck without an owner. […]

• The Kick-Ass Writer

The Kick-Ass Writer: 1001 Ways to Write Great Fiction, Get Published, and Earn Your Audience by Chuck Wendig This is a book for writers who don’t have time to read a book for writers. You can dive in and out of the book with ease. If you want to learn something about the fundamentals, the […]

• The Death of Wolverine

Wolverine – Three Months to Die: Book 1 Wolverine has lost his ability to heal. He goes on like nothing has changed, but he knows that everything has. He confided to Ms. Marvel that it was the only power really worth anything. Wolverine needs his healing ability. Every time he uses his claws they pierce […]