2016 reads

• Star Trek Revisited and Reinterpreted

Star Trek: The New Adventures – Volume 2 The first volume of this graphic novel series didn’t sit right with me. I was pretty harsh in my review of it. In fact, I recommended skipping the title altogether. It was advice that even I didn’t take. I saw the second volume at the library and […]

• The King of Rock-Bottom

Ten Ways to Not Commit Suicide by Darryl McDaniels (DMC) I am a huge Run-DMC fan. They are my all-time favourite group. So when I saw this book at the public library, I knew I had to pick it up. I had heard DMC talking about this book on the radio, and to tell you […]

• Failure Breeds? Doesn’t it?

Life Lessons from a Total Failure by M.J. Dougherty M.J. Dougherty has certainly had his share of ups and downs. He’s not afraid to open up and tell us about them in his new memoir, Life Lessons from a Total Failure. I can relate to feeling like a failure. I think we all can. We […]

• Truth Found in an Ancient Manuscript

Manuscript Found in Accra by Paulo Coelho Words have power. They have the power to inspire, to educate, to entertain, and they even have a calming quality that can make a anxious time more bearable. Perhaps that is why a group of people gathered around an elder back in the year 1099 as their city […]

• Little Women – The Next Generation

The Little Women Letters by Gabrielle Donnelly Little Women was written by Louisa May Alcott and released in two volumes in 1868 and 1869. The story is a classic in every aspect. It has been reprinted countless times, translated into different languages, been made into more than one feature film, and is still widely read […]

• Planet of the Apes (Book vs Movie)

My father really enjoyed the Planet of the Apes movies. I vividly recall watching them together on television when I was growing up. I’m not sure I completely understood what they were about, but I remember enjoying them nonetheless. When the film series was rebooted in 2011, I was pleasantly surprised by how the filmmakers […]

• Always Reading Comics

I love reading comics. I pretty much always have a graphic novel on the go. Here are the latest ones that I have read. Powerless I was pleasantly surprised by this story set in an alternate universe where there are no super-heroes. Peter Parker was still bitten by a spider but instead of becoming Spider-Man, […]

• Hawkeye’s Adventures Continue

Hawkeye: Volume 1 – My Life as a Weapon When I first heard of this title, I really had no interest in reading it. After all, he is probably the least exciting member of The Avengers. But the praise for the book has been strong, so when I saw it on the shelves of the […]

• The Ultimate Guide to Book Publishers by Jeff Herman

Jeff Herman’s Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, & Literary Agents: Who they are, What they want, and How to win them over Jeff Herman knows the publishing world and is dedicated to share that knowledge with fellow writers. He tells the story of how he got into the business and provides advice for writers on […]

• Alex and Ada (A different take on AI)

Alex + Ada is a brilliant comic book series that has been collected in three graphic novels. It is set in a future that feels not too far off from our own. In this future, there are androids that look completely human. They are required to have a marking on their arms to identifies them […]