2014 reads

• Latest Graphic Novel Reads

Star Wars: Blood Ties – Jango and Boba Fett Boba Fett was the bounty hunter in Return of the Jedi that stole every scene he was in. He was such a cool looking character. Since the first trilogy was released all those years ago, we have found out a lot about his back story. We […]

• Insurgent (Divergent Book 2)

Insurgent by Veronica Roth Insurgent is the second book in the Divergent series. The first book was phenomenal and I had a really hard time putting it down. This second book is a great continuation of the world that was established in Divergent. I like that both of these books could stand alone as well. […]

• Fast Fiction – A Guide to Novel Writing

Fast Fiction: A Guide to Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days by Denise Jaden National Novel Writing Month is a huge event that happens every November. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. It sound nearly impossible, but I have done it before. Denise Jaden has written a book […]

• A Safe Community? (Not in The Walking Dead)

If you are not familiar with The Walking Dead, it is a story about a band of survivors in a zombie apocalypse. It’s horrific, scary, and at the same time, a really compelling read. This three issue arc was really well done. It gave the survivors a brief respite from the horrors of the world. […]

• My List of 2014 Reads

Two years ago I decided to start blogging about every single title that I read over the course of a year. I found that I really enjoyed having this reading log. I could look back on what I have read, track the kind of things that I choose to read, and share some great titles […]

• The Last Ten Minutes of a Lesson are Very Important

How to Teach: The Book of Plenary by Phil Beadle I’ve read dozens of books on teaching and most of them are fairly straight-forward. It’s hard to describe, but this one is written with a sarcastic, witty, dark kind of tone. It sets it apart from other educational books, that’s for sure. The author admits […]

• The Walking Dead (Brief Respite)

The Walking Dead: Volume 10 – What We Become I have been reading this series courtesy of the public library. I should have read volume 8 and 9 next but I looked at the first few pages and realized that the Governor story had been completed and a new arc had started, so I didn’t […]

• Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero

Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero This story takes place two years before the mini-series that re-launched the Battlestar Galactica franchise. The first third of this graphic novel moved a little slowly but then I got so invested in the story that I couldn’t put the book down. This is the first Battlestar Galactica comic I’ve read […]

• The Avengers Tripping Through Time

Avengers: Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis, John Romita Jr, and Klaus Janson This is a time travel story involving two generations of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. I was glad that I’d seen this animated film before reading it because it ties in rather nicely. In the movie, the Next Avengers are actually the children of […]