2014 reads

• The Walking Dead: Rebuilding Society

The Walking Dead: Volume 15 – We Find Ourselves In the last volume of this on-going series, Rick had an epiphany. He realized that fighting to survive wasn’t enough. Rebuilding society by creating a close-knit community was the only way to go. In this volume, the community is running really low on supplies and it […]

• The Divergent Series Concludes with Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth The first book of this series was absolutely incredible. I loved every minute of the page-turner and didn’t want to put it down.  I looked forward to reading more.  The second book wasn’t as good, in my humble opinion, but I still enjoyed the read and looked forward to the conclusion […]

• Amazing Hip-Hop Book – The Big Payback

The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop by Dan Charnas I’ve wanted to write a book about hip-hop history for some time now. This is the book that I wanted to write. It’s simply brilliant. It’s captivating. And it’s a page-turner. Dan Charnas weaves a narrative  to illustrate the growth of hip-hop music […]

• The Governor is a Monster

The Walking Dead: Volume 8 – Made to Suffer The Governor launches an all-out war against the small band of survivors who have built themselves a home and safe community in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. The band manages to hold their own for a little while, but there are casualties on both sides. […]

• Some Books are Better on the Screen

Seriously . . . I’m Kidding by Ellen Degeneres I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book. All I knew was that I enjoyed watching Ellen on television and thought I’d give it a try. The book was a lot like her stand-up routine. You could hear her voice coming through the page as […]

• Building Your Author Platform in Your Pajamas

Authorpreneur in Pajamas: Building Your Author’s Platform Without Leaving Your Home by Geraldine Solon An author cannot simply write a book and then rest on his or her laurels. We live in a digital age, and as such, are expected to be online and have a visible presence. Building a platform is absolutely essential. We […]

• A Great Writing Guide: The Creative Compass

The Creative Compass: Writing Your Way from Inspiration to Publication by Dan Millman and Sierra Prasada. I took quite a few notes as I read this book. Here are some of the passages that really spoke to me. On the importance of giving ourselves time to think . . . “Dream. Set your mind loose […]

• Daredevil Turns 50!

Daredevil #1.50 This a special single issue comic that celebrates the 50 Anniversary of my favourite superhero, Daredevil. The first story takes us to the future. Matt Murdoch is 50 years old and he has a nine year old son.  His son has heightened senses as well but they pretty much over-whelm him. He is […]

• Lost in Shangri-La

Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff I bought this book for my dad when he got readmitted to the hospital back in August of last year. My dad was an avid reader and would spend about two hours a day reading. He especially liked books about war and genre-fiction. Clive Cussler was his favourite author. […]

• Journey to Rainbow Island – Book Giveaway

Journey to Rainbow Island by Christie Hsiao I was approached by the publisher of this book to do a review of the novel and a giveaway on my blog. The press release sounded interesting, so I agreed. Unfortunately, the novel didn’t live up to that potential. The story revolves around an eleven year old girl. […]