Hello again, it’s Witgirl! I’m here to help out Chase who is busily preparing report cards this week. He feels he absolutely cannot go a Tuesday without posting a Teaching Tip, this is where I come in.
I’m not exactly sure if I’m offering a tip, maybe more of a suggestion. As I am a supply teacher I have had the pleasure of experiencing many different planning styles. The kind I prefer are the ones that follow:
1. Written clearly, as in legible on an actual day plan. How many times have day plans been written on the back of a piece of scrap paper? Where is the professionalism in that?
2. Follow a routine the students are familiar with. Now is not the time to mix things up.
3. Grade appropriate, enough of the word searches and colouring pages already. The school year goes by quick enough, let’s try giving them something a little more challenging.
4. Materials are at hand, not hidden away in some back storage room. I do not want to root through everything.
5. The day plans should be on the surface of the desk, not mixed in with all the garbage on the desk.
6. Lastly, it is also nice to do more than just give handouts. I did not spend 4 years in University and a 1 1/2 years in teacher’s college just to sit behind a desk while students do desk work. It’s boring for me and them. Let me teach them.
Thank you for listening, I feel much better with that out there.
Teaching Tip Tuesday Archive – over 100 tips and counting