I’ve been building a TARDIS in my basement.
I started with a frame, added plastic sheeting for the walls, and then fashioned wooden trim to simulate the panelling effect of the time machine.
The next step is the roof.
I drilled a hole in the middle of a board. This is where the top lamp will be affixed.
I then notched either side of the panel so that it would sit on the top roof frame.
This roofing frame slides onto the top of the TARDIS and fits quite snugly.
I then added corrugated plastic to cover the entire roofing area.
I got this lamp from a dollar store and it sits perfectly in the hole that I drilled. I hollowed out the lamp though because it originally worked by pushing down on the top.
I wanted to be able to control the light from inside the TARDIS. I will be adding a flexible lamp so this top light will actually work.
I also plan to add another light on the inside so the translucent plastic windows will be able to glow.
The next step is painting and adding little details here and there.
It should end up looking something like this. My roof is a little bit shorter and I don’t have the footboard however.
I needed to be able to make the entire build small enough that I could store it in the basement when I am not using it outside. That extra top panel is not really needed. I’m sure the completed model will look amazing when it is painted and illuminated.
Stay tuned for one more update on my homemade TARDIS build.
I’ve been building a TARDIS in my spare time.
The first step was building the frame.
Then I added some detail. I used corrugated plastic for the walls. It’s a lightweight material so the completed model will be somewhat portable. I then added wood trim to create the panel effect.
The next step was creating the windows and doors.
I tried using a staple gun to attach the wooden trim to the plastic sheet but it didn’t work so well. The plastic had a bit of a bounce to it that I couldn’t seem to overcome.
It was even more problematic for the doors. The top staples would go in just fine but as I moved my way down the panel, the force of putting in new staples would bounce the others ones out.
I really struggled with this problem before coming upon a solution. I decided to “glue it and screw it.”
I used carpenter glue to affix the trim to the wall. I knew this glue wouldn’t be completely secure so I decided that I needed to screw the paneling into place as well.
The other problem was that the screws were just a tiny bit too long. I wasn’t sure what to do so I took a small piece of paneling into the hardware store along with a scrap piece of the plastic sheet. The associate suggested I use metal washers to take up some of that space. I also screwed them from the inside out so that the screws will not be seen in the completed build. It worked perfectly.
I wanted the doors to swing in just like the real TARDIS but I also knew that it might not be so practical. They might just need to swing open. So I positioned the hinges so that the doors could swing either way.
This project has been a lot of fun. There is still a little bit of work to do on it. Hopefully it will look like this soon.
Come back next week for another update.