I’ve been building a TARDIS in my spare time.
The first step was building the frame.
Then I added some detail. I used corrugated plastic for the walls. It’s a lightweight material so the completed model will be somewhat portable. I then added wood trim to create the panel effect.
The next step was creating the windows and doors.
I tried using a staple gun to attach the wooden trim to the plastic sheet but it didn’t work so well. The plastic had a bit of a bounce to it that I couldn’t seem to overcome.
It was even more problematic for the doors. The top staples would go in just fine but as I moved my way down the panel, the force of putting in new staples would bounce the others ones out.
I really struggled with this problem before coming upon a solution. I decided to “glue it and screw it.”
I used carpenter glue to affix the trim to the wall. I knew this glue wouldn’t be completely secure so I decided that I needed to screw the paneling into place as well.
The other problem was that the screws were just a tiny bit too long. I wasn’t sure what to do so I took a small piece of paneling into the hardware store along with a scrap piece of the plastic sheet. The associate suggested I use metal washers to take up some of that space. I also screwed them from the inside out so that the screws will not be seen in the completed build. It worked perfectly.
I wanted the doors to swing in just like the real TARDIS but I also knew that it might not be so practical. They might just need to swing open. So I positioned the hinges so that the doors could swing either way.
This project has been a lot of fun. There is still a little bit of work to do on it. Hopefully it will look like this soon.
Come back next week for another update.